July 18, 2011

Mill City Farmer's Market

One thing I love about Summer in Minnesota is the Farmer's Market. This past weekend I tried the Mill City Farmer's Market in Minneapolis.  I had heard great things about the vendors at Mill City from many of my MN Food Blogger friends and knew a visit was in order.  I was not disappointed in the least.

Mill City operates Saturdays, May 7th - October 15th.  8:00am to 1:00pm.  In addition to great food, Mill City offers visitors music and art.  Parking is at meters and local ramps.  For additional information: www.millcityfarmersmarket.org

My purchases included:
Variety of Tomatoes
Cucumber
Lacinato (Dino) Kale
Fennel
Ciabatta Bread
Herb Goat Cheese from Singing Hills Dairy
Cucumber Lemongrass Water from Crepes by Spoonriver
Snow Peas
& a Bacon Brat from the Chef Shack

Another reason I chose Mill City is to visit the gals at the Chef Shack.  This well known food truck has been providing freshly made food to Twin Cities residents since 2007.  I started  following them on Facebook and Twitter ( @chefshack1) after reading about them in the book Food Trucks. In addition to their Sweet Potato Taco, which I have tired and would recommend, I was tempted by the Bacon Brat.  I topped my brat with their home-made bacon ketchup, onions, banana peppers and relish.

Tip: If you want to find where the local food trucks are and what is on the menu that day, follow them on Facebook or Twitter.




A few tips I have learned visiting farmer's markets:

  • Have small bills, it is easier to make change.
  • Don't be afraid to ask what something is if you are not sure.  You might miss out on something wonderful.
  • Want to try something new, ask the vendor how to prepare it.
  • Bring reusable bags.  While vendors provide plastic bags, it saves them money and is a green option.  


In addition to other local farmer's markets I plan on visiting the Mill City Farmer's Market again.  On my next trip I look forward to more wonderful food, music and picking up some fresh garlic.

To find other markets in Minnesota, including dates, times and location: http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/fm/Minnesota.htm This site will also provide links to other states.

No comments:

Post a Comment