August 30, 2011

Cherry Tomato Five-Minute Sauce

One of the reasons I bought the cookbook My New Orleans was the chapter on tomatoes. I remember looking at it in the middle of winter and wishing I was picking tomatoes off a vine or shopping the farmers market for the freshest tomatoes. My mom's garden has been producing cherry tomatoes all summer and almost every time I am at my parents house my mom sends me home with cherry tomatoes.  I enjoy them, however I cannot eat them fast enough. It was very easy to make. The sauce isn't thick; I think it would be a great for Gazpacho or a base to my Bloody Marys.
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 quarts ripe cherry tomatoes (red, orange or both), halved (I even used yellow)
  • Leaves from 1 branch basil
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flake
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oil in large, deep skillet over high heat until hot. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, pepper flakes and garlic and cook until tomatoes come to a full boil. Cook 5 minutes more, until most tomatoes have collapsed, crushing them with back of a wooden spoon (I used a potato masher).


From My New Orleans
Using a food mill, puree sauce or push through a strainer into a bowl with rubber spatula. Discard skins. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into a jar and refrigerate.

Makes 1 quart.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like we have the same kind of tomatoes in our gardens. Thanks for sharing - I definitely need to try this. It'd be perfect with my bloody mary vodka infusion... (http://therealistichousewife.blogspot.com/2011/07/bloody-mary-infused-vodka-and-vodka.html if you want to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete