March 22, 2011

Veggie Bugers

I came across this recipe when I was told by a kidney dietitian that I was not supposed to eat legumes.  I love veggie burgers so I went in search of one without beans. I know it makes more than a portion for one or two, but they are healthy and can be made a little bigger.

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour 35 Minutes
Servings: 8

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, grated
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 carrots, shredded
1 small summer squash, shredded
1 small zucchini, shredded
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten (I use egg substitute)
2 tsp soy sauce
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over low heat, and cook the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in the carrots, squash, and zucchini. Continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and mix in oats, cheese, and egg. Stir in soy sauce, transfer the mixture to a bowl, and refrigerate 1 hour.

2. Preheat the grill for high heat.

3. Place the flour on a large plate. Form the vegetable mixture into eight 3 inch round patties. Drop each patty into the flour, lightly coating both sides.

4. Oil the grill grate, and grill patties 5 minutes on each side, or until heated through and nicely browned.  You can also make this in a pan on the stove. 
I serve it on a whole wheat sandwich thins such as Arnold brand, which are only 100 calories, top with alpha sprouts, tomatoes and a little mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment