May 2, 2011

Bacon Grease Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies


This recipe comes from my friend Ross Sveback. Ross is a lifestyle expert who also teaches cooking classes. I have a link to his website on my blog too.  www.kon-tent.com


I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I first tried these cookies, but bacon seems to be trendy in food lately. You can find chocolate covered anything these days including the popular chocolate covered bacon. Also, I have not found anything Ross has made that I didn't like.


1/2 cup rendered bacon grease
1/2 cup butter-flavor shortening (butter if you like)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1 tsp. maple flavoring. (I didn't have flavoring so I used maple syrup.)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips (Ross uses guittard dark chocolate)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
fine sea salt for sprinkling on top - if desired

In the bowl of an electric mixer cream bacon grease, butter and brown sugar together scraping bowl if necessary to combine.  Add egg, vanilla bean paste or extract, baking powder, baking soda and salt - mix on medium low to combine.  Add flour and stir to incorporate - scraping bottom of bowl to ensure all the flour is mixed together.  Add chocolate chips and nuts, then stir again.  Let dough rest for a half hour.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop, place dough onto silpat lined baking sheets. (If you do not have silpat, you can use parchment paper or spray pan.  I recommend a silpat, they make clean up easy). This recipe should yield two dozen cookies.  Bake for 16 minutes, turning pans or rotating them bottom to top if necessary depending on your oven halfway through the baking time.  Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack.

Thank You Ross for another great recipe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment