June 12, 2011

Indian In My Pantry & Fridge

I knew this was going to be a busy week and I would be attending various food and drink events during meal time.  I decided to see what I could throw together with what was in my pantry and fridge.

This morning I found a pound of Turkey Sausage in my freezer.  I thawed it throughout the day, but didn't know what I had planned for it until I opened my pantry later.

In the pantry I had Tomato Chutney I have been wanting to use.  I grabbed an onion, vegetable stock and the remains of a bag of brown rice out of the pantry.  In the fridge I had fresh ginger and a yellow pepper needed to be used.

1 pound Turkey Sausage
1 8oz Jar of Tomato Chutney
1/2 Yellow Onion Diced
1 Yellow Pepper Diced
1 Tbsp Ginger, finely chopped. (Minced in a jar is fine too)
3 c Vegetable Stock

Brown turkey sausage in a large pan. While browning dice onion and yellow pepper.  Transfer turkey sausage from pan to a bowl.  Utilize the grease from sausage to cook onion, pepper and ginger until tender.   Transfer onion and pepper into bowl with turkey sausage.  In the pan over high heat add vegetable stock and brown rice.  Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.  During the last 5 minutes add the tomato chutney. When rice is done add the turkey sausage, onion and pepper. Toss.

Can be used as an entrée or a side dish.  This dish would be good as a vegetarian dish or with chicken and/or other types of sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment